Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Episode 9: The Women from Across the Pond


 

Asshole: Hello world, this is the Smart Weiter's Blog #2! The one without syphilis, gonorrhea, AIDS or any sense of humanity. Yes, we are here to infect the reading public's minds with the newest indie author's trying to defecate their mommy and daddy's years of abuse vomited into words down your throat. We are on to our 9th episode of this young show's life and doing about as good as a blind man in a shooting contest when it comes to viewership and such. The judge has a bullet in the belly, the crowds run off scared and no one's brave enough to get the gun from the blind man's hand. But like any disabled person, we are trudging on in the hopes that we will one day be good enough to host our own live sex chat room, start a revolution in some obscure country or launch our own line of self-replicated dildos. And no, that's not Brim's mini size, that's just the regular size. 

Brim: They will get tired of your small penis jokes.

A: But will I? No. I never will. As you just heard, I'm joined as always by my gelatinous mire with a spare tire, my sidekick who's never done the lick, the fat man obsessed with batman; Brim!

B: Wasted words my friend.

A: Kinda like your 100,000 word 'novels' right?

B: You son of a bitch.

A: Behind the fake plastic camera that he holds to make him seem like Buffalo Bill or some other perverted serial killer, is Ben.

Ben: I'm not a serial killer.

A: Good for you Dan Wells. So today we interview Karina Kantas about her book Lawless Justice; a sexy adventure full of sexy girls in a sexy way beating other girls sexily. Sex. Sex. Need I say more?

B: You looked at the cover at least?

A: Sex?

B: You are useless. So Karina, why don't you tell the audience a little about yourself and your book.

Karina: I reckon my book is a lot more interesting than me, so we’ll start from there. Lawless Justice is a little different from you normal vigilante thriller (if you can find a vigilante thriller) in that these vigilantes are women.  Each of these women lives and works in a town different from the one they play in.  They lead double lives. You see they are willing to take the crap that life dishes out but be warned, over step the mark and you might find yourself on their list. 
Joe public, those fed up with the gangs that hang around the streets and the noisy neighbors or the cheating wife? When Joe public doesn’t want to get his hands dirty he calls the Kittnz.  And for a fee they dish out their justice.

A: What was the inspiration for this book? Did you join a biker gang and beat the hell out of people or did you Gonzo it like Hunter S Thompson and just follow them around?

B: Gonzo it?

A: If you don't know, you’re not cool enough to know.

K: No, I have never been a member of a biker club or a hang-around. You could say they followed me. One of my neighbors was a lady to a HA, so they were always around as I grew up and I got to know a few of them real well. Then, in my teens, I used to hang in biker bars, and I sang lead in a rock band. So the passion and lifestyle has always followed me.

A: Have you ever got your ass kicked by someone like Jade or Raven?

B: You’re an idiot.

A: It's a perfectly legitimate question. The violence in this book is awesome but I'm a guy.

B: Really?

A: Shut up. I'm going somewhere with this. I'm guessing your target audience is women. How do they respond to the violence?

K: Why would my target audience be just women? You don't think men would be interested in a novel where sexy, leather clad experienced women kick ass? Reader’s young and old have loved the books with no complaints about the level of violence. Why would women complain, when I give them a chance to hit back, something they'd never do in real life.

A: I wasn't saying it's only for women. I just assumed they were your target since the lead is a female.

B: Just stop talking.

A: You mother fucker.

B: Moving away from the book itself, Karina why did you want to become a writer?

K: I had stories to tell and I had to tell them. I was also told in my high school that I was dyslexic and I wanted to prove to myself and to others that I could do it.

B: How long did it take you before you started writing pieces you considered publishable?

A: You’re going on 20 years, right Brim?

B: Shut up.

K: I've been writing since my teens. When I came to live in Greece, I was so bored I looked at my talents, writing and singing; and I decided to take the writing further. That's when I started writing book and film reviews, and then writing non-fiction articles for online magazines. Poetry came next. Once I had a few publications under my belt, I then started concentrating on my novels. So from when I decided to concentrate on my writing to getting published, I think a year and a half passed.

B: And how long did it take to finish your first novel?

K: My first novel first started life as a short story. Years later I started work on it and it quickly became a novel. It didn't take long to write the 1st draft but the re-writes, the numerous printouts and edits took bloody ages. I'd say give or take a year before it was completed. It's good to put the MS aside and work on something else, then, when you pick it up again, mistakes and holes in the plot seem to jump off the page.

B: What is your editing process like? How many runs through do you do? Do you add or remove?

A: That sounds sexual. What did you just say to her?

B: Nothing you would know.

A: One of your fucking writer things.

K: I print out the first draft and make corrections on the paper. The MS needs to be read through a couple of times. Then the changes are made to the MS via the computer. Next I use my editing software and go through the whole MS to pick up any missed errors (that can take forever.) After, I put it aside for a month, work on something else. Then give it one last read through before handing it over to my wonderful editor, or my secret reader. That's when the real works starts.

A: This sounds like a lot of work. I don't see how anyone can write.

B: Dedication, practice-

A: I'm sorry, am I interviewing you? Did you write a book called Lawless Justice? Or did you write some piece of shit called Dungaroo Jack?

B: Neither.

A: Exactly so shut the fuck up. Now Karina, what are working on now? And how long till it's released?

K: My latest novel is another urban thriller. The MS is completed and is being sent around the offices of literary agents. I've been searching for an agent for over 10 years now and I'm determined to find someone with the same passion I have for this genre. The novel is called Road Rage and it's about a legal super bike racing team call Rage, who do some dealing and illegal racing on the side. I have no release date as yet, as I'm looking for a mainstream publisher.

B: I heard one publisher say that authors shouldn't even try looking for an agent for a few years because of the uncertainty in the market. That's only one man's opinion but it does seem like more publishers and agents are seeking out the indie authors who've been able to make a name for themselves.

A: Stephen King, Dean Koontz, James Patterson...

B: No idiot, they aren't indie.

A: They're not half bad either.

B: So I'm just wondering how long do you search for agents before you go to self publishing? Or are you set on getting one this time?

K: I've always been set on getting one. Back before e-books came out, you needed an agent to be published. I've been burned very badly by two so called publishers (didn't learn my lesson the first time) I have found a hole in the marketplace but it's getting someone to believe in my books and to see the marketing possibilities. Agents are always crying out for the next new thing. I have the next new thing. Forget chick lit and Vamp and angel saga's, sex and violence is what sells. My novels were made for the cinema, shame I can't write screen plays. So to get to that next step; get my books known, get myself known, to get that exclusive deal, I need an agent with the same passion as I have. With the sudden explosion of indie books and writers publishing their own titles, I'm hoping agents are more forthcoming with taking a risk on an unknown genre. So I'll keep submitting my manuscript and hoping there is someone out there.

B: As an aside, I've heard the best way to get an agent is to find ones just starting their own firm. They don't have their established clients yet. Before we let you go, was there anything else you wanted to say?

A: Yeah, like how much you admire me?

K: I admire you both. Thanks for the chat. Enjoy the book. Xxxx

A: If you enjoyed this interview, do us all a favor. Go out, get the book Lawless Justice or one of Karina Kantas other books. They have plenty of violence and sex to last you that five minutes till you get it out. And if you don’t get her books, the Kittnz will find you in a dark alley, strip you of your clothes and take turns beating you. Which might not be a bad thing…And here are the links to her books:


No comments:

Post a Comment